*Tutorial by Catherine @ CathGrace for her win of the Upcycle challenge of season 14*
I began by using a jigsaw to cut the edges of the wood off of the pallet, I could do this because none of my cuts needed to be longer than the wood I had left after cutting the ends off.
I then pried the center bar off from under the pieces I wanted to use.
Here are what my usable pieces looked like,
I pre-drilled holes and then using wood glue in all the joints, I glued and screwed the frame all together with the sides on the outside of the frame, and the 2.50″ wide piece along the top back.
The bottom piece is the one that was .5″ narrower than the top piece, the reason it is narrower, is because you want to push the piece flush with the front, so there is a .5″ gap towards the back (this is so cords can hang out the bottom if you need them too.) I countersunk the screws and then used a dowel to cover over the screw heads. I glued the dowels in place, and then used a dremmel multimax tool to flush cut the dowels.
Next I placed the frames on top of the case, and used 4 hinges I bought off of ebay. I cannot even tell you how hard Korea is making crafting, I have no idea where to get hinges here, I am sure there is a place, but Korean’s aren’t really a DIY culture, and all of their stores are small specialty stores, so you have to hope you can find the wood store, or the screw store (neither of which I have found) and so hinge stores, not so much. Anyway, I found the hinges that I needed on Ebay for $15 shipped (which always makes me cringe, I know I can get these exact same hinges at Lowe’s for under $8 for 4.) I had already painted the frames black in this picture.
The paint for this project was an adventure too. I can’t get black paint here, they don’t mix any dark colors. so I ended up using left over chalkboard paint from my kitchen wall. I painted the hinges black too since I didn’t want them to be super shiny brass.
then I sanded the whole thing down heavily, so there was a lot of wood showing, and stained the whole thing in a dark walnut stain (one I brought with me in my craft supplies, I also don’t know where the stain store is…..)
For the glass that filled the frame, I cut pieces of glass that I picked up from a frame store, and foiled the edges (glass stuff was in my stash) and soldered it all together. My finished glass was .25″ smaller than the frame size to make sure it all fit alright.
next I cleaned the glass really well to get all the oil and flux off the glass so that I could silver leaf the back of the glass.
You can sort of see the sizing brush strokes through the front, but that doesn’t bother me, I also let some areas not get fully leafed to keep an antique glass feel. I painted the back of the glass black, and then used clear silicone to glue it into the frame. I decided to not add any other sort of back because I didn’t want to add any unnecessary weight to the doors.
as you can see, you can see the black through the silver leaf in some areas, not quite a mercury glass look, but I think an antique mirror effect was successfully achieved. I used an antiquing medium to make the solder lines go black.
Although it doesn’t quite reflect like a mirror.
I am pretty excited with how this case turned out, and it is sooo much prettier on the wall then just the TV!
Thanks for having me, and I hope you are inspired to make your own upcycled wall mounted TV cabinet, and I would love it if you would come visit me over at cathgrace!