Scrappy Wallet! I have been making handbags from scarves for several years now, and have a huge collection of scarf scraps. I had a bag on hand that I made several months ago and needed a wallet to finish off the project. I gathered my scraps in the color scheme of the bag and began piecing my scraps together. Now, I have a cute new wallet. I made a place for all those important cards we carry, special spot for your photo id, and plenty of room for all the hard cash I carry around. J/K. I did not have a dollar on hand to place in my new wallet.
Watch the Oscars? Yawn…not interested. But the fashions? Oh, yes please!
When I learned this week’s challenge was “knock-off” I knew I wanted to knock-off one of Anne Hathaway’s gorgeous gowns from the 2011 Oscars (and there were so many to choose from!)
Like many others, I thought her gowns were just stunning. But which one? The red? The maroon? The white? I knew immediately though–the black and lace combo was beautiful. And I was certain it would translate into the perfect dress for my pre-teen–not to “little girly”, and not too “adult”.
And I think I was right…
I modified it (obviously): added sleeves (strapless just isn’t practical for a ten year old! hehe), shortened it, and of course I had to work with what I could find in terms of the lace.
We did hit the high points of the dress though–the yards and yards of pleated black satin in the skirt…the scalloped dropped waist…the sweetheart neckline with sheer ruffled trim…
And the Mock-scar for “Best Copy of A Co-Host Gown” goes too….
When I was trying to decide what to make for this week’s challenge, I pulled out all the scraps I could find…and what a collection it was! Florals and plaids and cottons and satins and leathers and kiddie prints and…
And, well, to be perfectly honest there wasn’t any rhyme or reason to any of it. And I was stumped. (I was also quite shocked at the amount of scraps I’ve been hanging on to…but that’s a whole other story!)
So I pulled out a pile of leather scraps–no piece was bigger than one square foot–and started playing around…
In the words of one Mr. Tim Gunn–”it’s a lot of look.” So I kept it all neutrals and naturals–shades of brown, green and cream help coordinate the overall color theme but keep it from being too overwhelming or too juvenile.
Inside I added a little pop of color with a small scrap of fabric I found that contained many of the colors I’d used on the outside–it was such a small piece I could only put a border of it around the top! It also has an inside pocket.
The roses are simple rolled flowers. Both colors are leftover pieces of lining fabric–and the beige started as white before taking a little bath in some hot tea to tone it down!
All together it’s one cute clutch perfect for a night out on the town!
A while back I fell in love with Pottery Barn’s Blue Gate Wall Art. But with a $230 price tag, I knew it would never see the inside of my house (that is, beyond the computer screen!).
But then SYTYC came along with a knock-offs challenge! Using simple materials available to the average person and following some basic steps, I was able to make a slightly simpler version of the Pottery Barn beauty for less than $15.
My little one’s favorite book these days is Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? We read this book over and over every day. So what better project to make than little animals to go along with this beloved book?
When I got this weeks theme, I knew what I was making. A few weeks ago,
someone showed this dress on their blog, and I fell in love with it – it
reminds me so much of my mom’s old bathing-suits. And when I looked at
Stella McCartney’s kids collection I also found the pair of shorts, and I
knew I had to make it a full outfit.
topic had me thinking for a while, I had a lot of projects I COULD
do, but I wanted something that didn’t
immediately say SCRAPS. I was thinking of making a necklace from t-shirts,
when it dawned on me… let me make a jewelry tree.
*Project by Amy @ Positively Splendid for the Season 6 Finale*
Having just moved into a new home, I wanted my final project for the competition to be something fun that reflects my overall crafting personality, but also something practical for our new place. We recently purchased a bunk bed for my older kiddos’ shared room, so I opted to use this challenge as my impetus to get their bedding and decor squared away. I set to work creating coordinating pillow shams and duvet covers, as well as repurposing an old lamp to match and putting together personalized alphabet samplers to adorn the walls.
Shared boy/girl spaces can be a challenge. I wanted the bedding to coordinate, but I also wanted it to be as suitable for a boy as it was for a girl. Enter my little vinyl applique boy and girl symbols on the shams, which leave no question as to just who exactly occupies this space! I opted for turquoise and hot pink as the main colors for each of the bedding sets, tying it all together with a series of orange stripes.
The sweet little lamp on the nightstand is a perfect match.
I created a printable that made putting these alphabet sampler wall hangings together a breeze!
There is nothing more gratifying than seeing two giddy children squeal with delight when they first see their new room! I am as tickled with they are with how this space came together, but the thing that pleases me most is the price tag of this project. Because I used flat sheets instead of fabric by the yard, and because I repurposed items I had on hand and used supplies from my stash, the total cost for this room makeover was just over $50, a typical price for a single custom-made pillow sham!
It has been so much fun participating in this competition! Thanks so much to everyone who has voted for me along the way!